What is Plant and Equipment Insurance?

This type of cover generally relates to heavy machinery which may or not be registered for road use and is typically the “ yellow equipment” you see involved in road construction and the like. Typically, the cover will be organised to cover loss or damage to the item only, with the liability component covered under a separate liability policy.

If the equipment is not registered, there will be no cover for personal injury arising from road use as there is no TAC component providing automatic cover as occurs when your vehicle is registered with the local roads authority, such as VicRoads in Victoria. Having said that, even if the equipment is registered for road use, cover for injury arising from operating as a “tool of trade” will generally be excluded from any motor policy & TAC cover, hence why it is important to talk to us here at MIB regarding insurance cover on this type of equipment.